South African Grilled Cheese (Rooster Brodje)Steven Raichlen
South African Grilled Cheese (Rooster Brodje)
- Yield: Serves 4
- Equipment: hardwood chunks or chips; a plancha (optional) or cast iron griddle or large cast iron skillet
- 8 thick strips bacon
- 8 slices of country style white bread or Pullman bread
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup fruit chutney (such as Major Grey’s)
- 8 ounces sharp orange cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced crosswise
Step 1: Set up your grill for plancha grilling and preheat to medium-high.
Step 2: Grill the bacon until crisp and browned, 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
Step 3: Lightly brush four of the bread slices with melted butter on one side and arrange, butter- side down, on your work surface. Spread the top of each slice with chutney. Sprinkle on the cheese and scallions followed by the sliced tomatoes and bacon. Place the remaining bread slices on top to make a sandwich. Brush the top of each sandwich with the remaining melted butter.
Step 4: Arrange the sandwiches on the plancha and grill until lightly browned on both sides, 2 minutes per side. (If desired, you can also grill the sandwiches directly on the grill grate.) Slide the sandwiches onto the grill to lay on grill marks, another minute or so per side. When ready, the bread will be browned and the cheese melted.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Fire Season 1:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Fire is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2018 Barbacoa, Inc.