Sweet Sesame-Soy MarinadeSteven Raichlen
This marinade mashes up flavorings from several Asian grill cultures: soy sauce and sake from Japan; sesame oil and seeds from Korea; five-spice powder and oyster sauce from China; plus jalapeños from the United States. Put them together and you get a marinade that turns poultry, meat, seafood, and even tofu into championship Asian-style barbecue. To get the full effect, use dark nutty Asian-style sesame oil, made with roasted sesame seeds. Oyster sauce is a thick briny condiment available in Asian markets and many supermarkets.
Sweet Sesame-Soy Marinade
- 1/3 cup Asian (dark) sesame oil
- 1/3 cup sake, rice wine, or dry sherry
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce (optional)
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 scallions (white and green parts), trimmed and minced
- 2 strips lemon zest
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese Five-Spice Powder
1: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir or whisk to mix. Use within a few hours of making.