Texas ToastSteven Raichlen
Serve this recipe with Texas Shoulder Clod.
- Yield: Serves 6 but can be scaled up as needed
- 1 1-pound loaf unsliced country-style white bread, end pieces trimmed off
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, melted
- Garlic salt
- Dried oregano, crumbled between your fingers
- Parmesan cheese, finely grated (optional)
Step 1: Using a bread knife, cut the bread into slices about 1 inch thick. Arrange on a rimmed baking sheet.
Step 2: Brush melted butter on both sides of each slice of bread. Season both sides with garlic salt, dried oregano, and Parmesan cheese, if using.
Step 3: Preheat a grill to medium-high (400 degrees). Grill the bread for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Watch carefully as bread can burn easily. Alternatively, preheat a plancha or griddle on the grill and toast the bread there.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Smoke Season 3:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2017 Barbacoa, Inc.