BBQ Lionfish with Orange and Almond SlawSteven Raichlen
Everyone loves a summer BBQ, and fantastic coleslaw can be a game changer. This tangy coleslaw recipe with crunchy and aromatic additions of fennel, orange, and almonds might even steal the show. Other fish that I like for BBQ include mahi-mahi, king mackerel, and mullet.
More from Allen Susser:
Other Grilled Fish Recipes:
- Jim Hunt’s Blackened Redfish
- Grilled Swordfish Steaks with Golden Raisin Chimichurri
- Salt Slab Grilled Rockfish with Melon Mint Relish
BBQ Lionfish with Orange and Almond Slaw
- Yield: Serves 4
- 1 large bulb of fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 small cabbage, shredded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 large oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Caribbean almonds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 leaves fresh basil, torn
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon crushed coriander seed
- 4 large lionfish fillets
1: To Prepare the Orange Slaw: In a small bowl, combine the fennel and cabbage with garlic, slices from 1 orange, onion, almonds, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, 2 Tablespoons olive oil, and freshly torn basil. Cover and refrigerate for a half hour.
2: To Cook the Lionfish: Heat charcoal BBQ grill and brush it with a Tablespoon of the oil. Season the lionfish with remaining salt, pepper, and crushed coriander seed. Place the fillets into direct heat and grill the first side for 2 minutes and then carefully turn them over and cook the second side for another 2 to 3 minutes until just cooked through.
3: To Serve: Spoon 2 to 3 Tablespoons of the orange slaw onto the plates. Place the BBQ lionfish on each mound. Garnish with remaining orange slices.