Korean-Style Skirt SteakSteven Raichlen
Get Skirt Steak from Holy Grail
Receive 20% off Coupon Code: BARBECUEBIBLE
Korean-Style Skirt Steak
- Advance Prep: 2 hours for marinating the beef
- Yield: Serves 4
- Method: Direct grilling
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sake or dry sherry
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated peeled ginger
- 1 tablespoon gochujang (Korean red pepper paste), plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak, cut into 4-inch pieces
- Vegetable oil for oiling the grill grate
- 1 head of romaine or Bibb lettuce, separated into leaves, for serving
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
- Thinly sliced jalapeno peppers, for serving
Step 1: In a large glass baking dish, mix the soy sauce with the sesame oil, brown sugar, sake, garlic, scallions, ginger, gochujang, and pepper. Add the skirt steak and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Step 2: Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to medium-high. Lightly oil the grate. Pat the steak dry with paper towels. Grill the steak over a fire for 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare meat.
Step 3: Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for 3 minutes, then slice it across the grain into 1/4-inch slices. Serve the steak with lettuce leaves, gochujang, cilantro, and jalapenos. Let diners assemble their own beef rolls.
Visit our blog for tips on how to get the most out of your skirt steak!