Mediterranean Tomato RelishSteven Raichlen
This recipe is representative of the many tomato relishes served with Mediterranean grilling.
Mediterranean Tomato Relish
- Yield: Makes about 3 cups
- 3 red rip tomatoes, cut into 1/4-ince dice, with their juices
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-ince dice
- 1 to 4 hot peppers of your choice, seeded and cut into into 1/4-ince dice (for hotter relish, leave the seeds in)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea)
Step 1: Combine the tomatoes, onion, hot pepper(s), parsley, olive oil, and lemon juice in a nonreactive mixing bowl and stir to mix.
Step 2: Taste for seasoning, adding salt to taste and/or more lemon juice as necessary; the relish should be highly seasoned.