Pico de GalloSteven Raichlen
Pico de Gallo
- 3 medium-size ripe tomatoes, seeded
- 1/2 medium-size onion, peeled
- 2 to 4 serrano or jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced (for a spicier salsa leave the seeds in)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced (optional)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (sea or kosher), or more to taste
Step 1: Cut the tomatoes and onion into 1/4 inch dice and transfer to a bowl. Stir in the chiles, garlic (if using), cilantro, lime juice, and salt. Correct the seasoning, adding salt or lime juice; the salsa should be highly seasoned. The virtue of this salsa lies in its freshness. Serve it within 1 hour of making.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Smoke Season 3:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2017 Barbacoa, Inc.