Pico de GalloSteven Raichlen
Other Recipes from Episode 210: Shoulder On
Pico de Gallo
- 3 luscious, ripe, red tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped (for a milder salsa, seed the chiles)
- ½ small white onion, finely diced
- 4 red radishes, finely diced (optional)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
1: Combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl and gently toss to mix. Correct the seasoning, adding lime juice or salt to taste. Best made no more than a few hours before serving.
For an added twist, use a handheld smoker to add a smoky flavor to your pico de gallo. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, leaving just one edge uncovered. Fill a handheld smoker with oak wood saw dust. Light the saw dust, and when you have a clear stream of smoke, insert the hose into the bowl of pico de gallo. After the bowl is filled with wood smoke, remove the hose and cover the bowl tightly. Let the vegetables absorb the smoke for 4-5 minutes.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Fire Season 2:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Fire is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2019 Barbacoa, Inc. Photos by Chris Bierlein.