Pizza PuttanescaSteven Raichlen
Other Recipes from Episode 309: Little Italy
- Yield: Makes 2 pizzas
- Method: Direct Grilling
- 1/2 batch Basic Pizza Dough or your favorite premade dough (7 to 8 ounces, enough for 2 pizzas), rolled into 2 balls of equal size
- 3 cups Smoked Tomato Sauce, or your favorite tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata or other flavorful black olives
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 1 tablespoon dried hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 to 2 diced jalapenos, red or green, diced (optional)
- 8 oil-packed anchovies, drained (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano flakes
- A 3-ounce chunk of Pecorino Romano cheese, shaved or grated
- Extra virgin olive oil
1: Form the crust: Generously oil a rimless sheet pan with olive oil. Put one of the dough balls on the pan (turn it a couple times to oil all sides). Oil your hands and stretch the dough into a rectangle about 9 by 15 inches or an irregular shape.
2: Direct grill the pizza: Heat one side of your grill to medium-high. The other side should be set to medium or low. Brush or scrape the grill grate clean and oil it very well.
3: Carefully lift the pizza off the sheet pan by one side and drape it onto the grate over the hot part of the grill. Grill until the bottom of the crust is browned and blistered and the top starts to bubble, 2 to 4 minutes.
4: Using tongs and a spatula, turn the crust over, moving it to the cooler part of the grill. Ladle some of the Smoked Tomato Sauce on top, followed by the remainder of the toppings (including the cheese). Slide the pizza back over the hotter part of the grill. Lower the grill lid to hold in the heat. Continue grilling the pizza until the toppings are cooked (any cheese in the topping will be melted), 2 to 4 minutes more. If you have one, use a pizza peel or a rimless sheet pan to transfer the pizza to a cutting board. Cut into serving pieces.
5: Repeat with the remaining pizza.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Fire Season 3:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Fire is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2021 Barbacoa, Inc. Photos by Chris Bierlein