Smoked ManhattanSteven Raichlen
- Yield: Serves 1 and can be multiplied as desired
- Method: Handheld smoker
- Equipment: Polyscience Smoking Gun; a bar shaker, strainer, and bar or iced tea spoon
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) bourbon (preferably Maker’s Mark)
- 1 ounce red vermouth
- 2 drops bitters (preferably Angostura)
- Stemmed maraschino cherry
- Smoked ice (optional; see note below)
Step 1: Fill a martini glass with ice to chill it.
Step 2: Place the bourbon, vermouth, and bitters in a bar shaker. Cover with plastic wrap. Insert the rubber tube of a smoking gun in the shaker and smoke for 4 minutes. Repeat once more.
Step 3: Add smoked ice cubes and stir the mixture vigorously for 30 seconds.
Step 4: Strain the Manhattan into a chilled glass. Garnish with the maraschino cherry.
Note: To smoke ice, place the cubes in a roasting pan and smoke in a smoker set on coldest setting possible for 30 minutes. The ice will melt. Refreeze the water in ice cube trays.
Find This Recipe
New York Times Bestseller Project Smoke is the How to Grill of smoking, both a complete step-by-step guide to mastering the gear and techniques and a collection of 100 explosively flavorful recipes for smoking every kind of food, from starters to desserts. Project Smoke describes Raichlen’s seven steps to smoked food nirvana, including 1. Choose […]Buy Now ‣