Smoked Olives and AlmondsSteven Raichlen
Smoked Olives and Almonds
- Yield: Makes 5 cups
- Equipment: Best of Barbecue Olive Wood Chunks or other hardwood chunks
- 3 cups brined green olives (I like Cerignola), drained
- 2 cups almonds (ideally smoked almonds)
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed with the side of a cleaver
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or to taste
Step 1: Set up your smoker following the manufacturer’s instructions and preheat to 225 degrees. Add the wood as specified by the manufacturer.
Step 2: Meanwhile, place the olives, almonds, garlic, and hot pepper flakes in a foil pan. Stir in the olive oil and toss to mix.
Step 3: Smoke the olives and almonds until smoke flavored, 30 to 60 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, then transfer to a serving bowl.
Use these Best of Barbecue Olive Wood Chunks.
Serve with these other appetizers for a New Year’s cocktail party hot off the grill.