Smoked Snapper Dip with Smoked Vegetable ChipsSteven Raichlen
Smoked Snapper Dip with Smoked Vegetable Chips
- Yield: Serves 6 to 8 as a starter
- Method: Hot-smoking/handheld smoker
- 8 ounces smoked snapper, mahi-mahi, bluefish, or salmon
- 8 ounces mascarpone or cream cheese, at room temperature
- Coarse salt (sea or kosher) and freshly ground black pepper
- Finely chopped chives or scallion greens
- Freshly grated lemon or lime zest, plus juice
- Freshly grated or prepared horseradish
- Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce
- Taro or Terra chips, smoked (see Step 3)
Step 1: Flake the fish into a food processor, discarding any skin or bones. Coarsely or finely chop (your choice) by running the processor in short bursts. Add the mascarpone or cream cheese, salt and pepper to taste, and any of the flavorings, and process just to mix. If you like a more coarsely textured pâté, mash the ingredients with a fork in a bowl. Taste and correct the seasoning; the dip should be highly seasoned.
Step 2: Transfer the dip to serving bowls.
Step 3: To smoke the chips, place them in a large serving bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, leaving one edge open. Insert the hose of a handheld smoker into the bowl and fill with wood smoke, sealing the bowl with the plastic wrap. Let stand for 4 minutes. Uncover the bowl and serve.
Use Honey Lime Smoked Snapper in this recipe.