Charred Pineapple ZombieSteven Raichlen
Grilled spiced pineapple’s otherworldly caramel and hint of char paired insanely well with the gunpowder molasses and tropical fantasy of Don the Beachcomber’s 1950 version of the Zombie. Part of the recipe, a homemade passion fruit syrup is no big deal if you’re dedicated enough to grill and then juice fresh pineapple, right? Saving chunks of pineapple as part of the garnish is a bit of lily-gilding I can get behind.
Warning: strong. Second warning: strong! Third warning: You’re on your own.
More Grilled Drink Recipes:
Charred Pineapple Zombie
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1 ounce charred pineapple juice
- ¾ ounce passion fruit syrup
- 1 ounce light rum (recommended: Banks 5 Island, Panama-Pacific Blanco)
- 1 ounce gold Puerto Rican rum (recommended: Don Q Gold)
- 1 ounce 151-proof Demerara rum (recommended: Lemon Hart 151, Hamilton Demerara 151)
- 1 teaspoon rich Demerara syrup
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
1: Shake well with 1 1/2 cups of crushed ice. Pour the drink and the ice into a Collins glass or tiki mug. Top with additional crushed ice as needed. Garnish with reserved charred pineapple piece, Fabbri Amarena or Luxardo Maraschino cherry, and fresh mint.