Catalan VinaigretteSteven Raichlen
- Yield: Makes 2 cups, enough to serve 6 to 8
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large or 2 medium shallots, minced (about ¼ cup)
- 2 tablespoons capers, with juices
- 6 cornichon pickles, finely chopped
- 1 ripe red tomato, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Step 1: Place the garlic and salt in a large mixing bowl and mash to a paste with the back of a spoon. Add the mustard and vinegar and whisk until the salt crystals are completely dissolved. Gradually whisk in the oil in a thin stream: the sauce should emulsify. Whisk in the shallots, capers, cornichons, and tomatoes. Correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste. Whisk well before serving.
Step 2: The vinaigrette will keep for several days in the refrigerator, but tastes best served within a few hours of making.
Find This Recipe
Marinate skewers of beef tips in Tex-Mex Tequila-Jalapeno Wet Rub before putting them on the grill. Or slather pork chops with B.B. Lawnside Spicy Apple Barbecue Sauce. Or coax a chicken breast to perfection with a Coconut Curry Baste. From Steven Raichlen, author of the big, bad, definitive BARBECUE! BIBLE, comes BARBECUE! BIBLE SAUCES, RUBS, […]Buy Now ‣