Made-From-Scratch KetchupSteven Raichlen
- Yield: Makes 4 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 lemon, peeled (remove both zest and rind), seeded, and diced
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt (sea or kosher)
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole plum tomatoes, juices strained and reserved, tomatoes coarsely chopped by hand or in a food processor
Step 1: Heat the olive oil in a medium-size nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft but not brown, stirring with a wooden spoon, 3 minutes.
Step 2: Increase the heat to high, stir in the vinegar and brown sugar, and boil until the mixture is reduced by half, 3 minutes. Add the honey, orange juice, lemon, salt, spices, and reserved tomato juices. Reduce the heat to medium and gently simmer, uncovered, until thick and syrupy, 5 minutes. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and simmer the ketchup, uncovered, until thick and flavorful, 10 minutes.
Step 3: Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process to a coarse purée. Correct the seasoning, adding salt, vinegar, or any other ingredient; the ketchup should be highly seasoned. Transfer the purée to jars, cover, cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until serving. The ketchup will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Smoke Season 3:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2017 Barbacoa, Inc.