Mojo (Citrus Garlic Sauce)Steven Raichlen
Mojo (Citrus Garlic Sauce)
- Yield: 3 cups
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Step 1: Heat the olive oil in a large deep saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and a pale golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Do not let brown too much, or the garlic will become bitter.
Step 2: Stir in the lime and orange juice, water, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stand back: the sauce may sputter. Bring the sauce to a rolling boil. Correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste. The sauce should be highly seasoned.
Step 3: Let cool to room temperature, then stir in the cilantro. Serve the mojo in a bowl: be sure to stir well before serving.